Fernando Llorente “Nobody From Athletic Called Me In January, I Was Willing To Talk”

Fernando Llorente

Fernando Llorente says Athletic did not contact him in January (UCL)

Athletic Club were all in on trying to sign Fernando Llorente during the January transfer window, but it didn’t happen. An injury to Harry Kane meant that Llorente was the only true striker left in the Tottenham squad and the English club informed Athletic that they would not be negotiating his exit. Since then the striker has scored 6 goals and provided 3 assists in his last 9 games.

Llorente was on the scoreboard once again on Wednesday as he scored Tottenham’s third goal in a 3-0 win over Borussia Dortmund in the Champions League. After the game he spoke with reporters and, when asked about his future, he revealed that he was never contacted by Athletic in January, but he was willing to talk about a possible return.

“Nobody from Athletic called me in January to talk about coming back. I was willing to talk. If they did call Tottenham would have talked to them. I did get some calls from others in Spain. You never know what can happen. I won’t close the door on anything, especially Athletic. I am very grateful to Athletic, they are the club that gave me everything.”

Athletic are expected to return for Llorente in the summer transfer window, but after signing Kenan Kodro on the last day of January things may change. For now the 33-year-old is enjoying his minutes at Tottenham although he is open to whatever may come. “If I renew for a year I will be delighted”, he told reporters. “The project here at Tottenham is exciting, but I will be attentive to any call that may come.”

Leave A Comment