Iago Herrerín Rubbishes Reports Claiming That Athletic Club Rejected His Request To Leave On Loan
For the past month Athletic Club have been wading through the waters of a goalkeeper dilemma. Kepa Arrizabalaga might be entrenched as the starter but there is a serious question over who will be his backup next season. Iago Herrerín and Alex Remiro have both come out recently to make it clear that they don’t want to be a substitute and it looked as though a decision had been made on Friday.
Javier Ortiz De Lazcano of El Correo published a report stating that Herrerín had met with Athletic and requested to be sent on loan this season, which the Lions rejected because new manager Eduardo Berizzo plans for him to retain his role as a backup to Kepa. The story certainly seemed to be true considering that Herrerín himself had said in an interview that he was going to meet with the club to talk about his future, but the 30-year-old has since taken to social media to refute the claim.
Not too long after the story was published, Herrerín posted a tweet on Twitter which certainly seemed to be directed at Lazcano’s report. “It’s nice to see how people who are not involved in a topic know something before the people who are involved…that’s how it goes”, which was followed by a few emojis of facepalms and thumbs down. It only makes sense that his tweet was in response to the breaking piece of news.
This isn’t the first time that Herrerín has taken to social media to defend himself. After his initial interview during which he made it clear that he doesn’t want to be a backup, Nika Cuenca of Fiebre Rojiblanca said that it was a bad time go public with his feelings. Herrerín responded by saying that Cuenca has always tried to paint him in a bad light. Whether or not the latest report is true, Athletic still have an issue to figure out. Herrerín does not want to be a backup, but he does understand that he is still under contract through 2021. Berizzo has a difficult situation on his hands.